Cold weather alert and race cancellation news
Multiple forecasts show very cold temperatures for racing on Friday February 3 and Saturday February 4. The Friday race temperature is unlikely to be warmer than -20C and may be as low as -30C. After careful deliberation, the Race Jury have made the difficult decision to CANCEL the U14 races for Friday February 3 and Saturday February 4. This decision was made as the temperature is unlikely to be warmer than -15C and any racing that occurs will likely be delayed. Please note that the Race Files are now closed. NO CHANGES including category upgrades or new registrations will be allowed.
The decision to delay or cancel U16+ races for Friday February 3 will be made at the latest by Thursday February 2 and will be announced by 1700h at the Team Captains’ Meeting. The decision to delay or cancel U16+ races for Saturday February 4 will be made at the latest by Friday February 3 and will be announced by 1900h at the Team Captains’ Meeting. All decisions will also be communicated through the Easterns website and social media channels.
We understand this will be disappointing for athletes and supporters and may affect travel and planning. The Nakkertok site will be open for official training on Thursday February 2. Nakkertok will be open for training on cancelled race days. Coaches and athletes should take cold weather precautions if they choose to train. The Outaouais region has many indoor tourist options for visitors and please take the opportunity to explore our museums and tourist attractions; https://www.tourismeoutaouais.com
The decision to provide refunds due to cold weather cancellations is at the sole discretion of the race organizers. This is being considered but will be balanced against the already incurred fixed costs of event hosting. This decision will be communicated to athletes and supporters once known.
Race Secretary on behalf of ENGNE organizing committee